Table of Contents
What is Oracle?
An oracle is a database where multiple data are taken as a single unit. It is a multi-model database management system that has been marked by Oracle Corporation. This database is used for running online transaction processing, data warehousing and mixed database workload. It was first designed for enterprise grid computing. It is the most flexible and cost-effective way to manage information and applications. Oracle is easy to learn and one can understand it well if they have a fair knowledge of SQL
Its latest version oracle 19c was released in 2019 and is one of the updated versions of oracle. Many don’t understand how to install oracle database in their windows pc or desktop. Here are the steps to do so.
Steps to install Oracle
- install oracle database from oracle website in your computer using the given link: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/oracle-database-software-downloads.html
- extract the given folders to your specific computer drive
- double click on the setup.exe file to start installing it in your website
- you will be asked to provide the email address for receiving the latest security updates
- if not needed you can click on next
- if you haven’t provided the email address a pop up will occur whether you want to confirm it or not.
- click on the required action
- next you will be asked if you want to create or configure your database. This step is necessary.
- you can install the requirement database software or can upgrade the given software
- if you have clicked oracle database for the first time, click on “Create and configure a database” and click on next
- you will be asked to choose the system class.
- usually, you need to install oracle database and not a server, so click on “desktop class” and continue with next
- In the next step, you need to mention your windows user account and configure your oracle home for enhanced security.
- Here, you must use “Use windows built in account”
- Choose the folder where oracle database will be installed. Also mention your global database name and password and pluggable database name.
- A pre requisite check is processed
- review the global settings summary and click install button if you find everything to be okay.
- the oracle database will be installed
- this may take some time depending on your computer and internet speed
- Enter password for SYS and SYSTEM accounts and then click on Ok
- If your installation is completed successfully, then you will get a confirmation message and close the window.
How to Connect to Oracle Database
- launch the SQL developer application given by the oracle database
- right click on connection node and choose “new connection”
- This is done to create a new connection
- write the information that you had provided during installation and click on “connect” This is done to get connected to the oracle database.
- SQL developer displays all the required objects that are displayed below.
Finally, you are done with the installation of oracle 12c on your desktop.
With simple steps, you are able to install your oracle database and get started.
If you want to add an entry in the tnsnames.ora file, then first you need to see in which directory it is located in. This is located in:
If you go according to the steps, then your file is located in the given directory: